6 things you need to know about Google’s change for service businesses
1. Instead of having a box you have to check that says you deliver goods & services to your customers at their location, you now have the option to clear your address. This function happens the same thing; it just has new wording. When your address cleared it will change your listing into a service area business which will remove the directions icon, remove the maps pin, remove the listing from the Google Maps API & disappear your address from the public.
3. Although your address is missing, Google still knows where you are. The purpose of the feature is to hide away the address from the public.
4. There is no option to add a service area that is a radius around your location. Instead, you need to add a list of zip codes/cities.
5. Still, if your ranking is based on the address used for verification not what you put in the service area. It has been this way for a very long time & we all hope Google will change this at some point.
6. Suddenly, If you move to a different area you should add your new address back to the listing so you can reverify it and then clear it again. Again, not really ideal but if you fail to do this, your listing will rank based on your past address, not your new one.